Breakfast at Tiffany's - Finding The Light Within

 

 

 Tiffany's Chapel Designed for The World's Fair 

Welcome to our online store and blog. Each Monday and Friday we give you a behind the scenes peak into the people, places and things that inspire us. This week we take you on a journey to The Morse Museum of American Art

While visiting Thomas' mom in St. Augustine our friend, Camille Marchese, let us in on a secret nestled off the main street in Winter Park Fl. lies a museum with all of Tiffany's creations inside.

 

 Tiffany's Holy Cross Chandelier hanging over the alter serves as inspiration for Thomas Fuchs Creative Bollincine Chandelier 

The Morse Museum houses the world’s most comprehensive collection of works by Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848–1933), including the artist and designer’s jewelry, pottery, paintings, art glass, leaded-glass lamps and windows; his chapel interior from the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago; and art and architectural objects from his Long Island country estate, Laurelton Hall. 

 

 Side View of the Amazing Tiffany Cross Chandelier 

The Chandelier in The Chapel served as our inspiration for our much beloved custom color / custom size Thomas Fuchs Creative Bollincine Chandelier. In 1893, The Tiffany Glass Company participated in the Chicago's World Fair which was originally called The World's Columbian Exhibition. It was a sensation and brought the already successful 45yrs old designer to even greater heights of popularity both in the USA and abroad.

 

 Thomas Fuchs Custom Colour & Custom Size Bollincine Chandelier 

After the fair the chapel was reinstalled by Tiffany at his NY studios. Then it was dismantled again and installed in a substantially different form in 1898 at The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, also in NYC. In 1916, having fallen into disrepair and threatened with destruction, the chapel was reacquired by Tiffany. He restored it and reinstalled it in a small building at his Long Island estate, Laurelton Hall. 

In 1959, twenty-six years after Tiffany's death and following the dispersal of some of the chapels furnishings and windows, Jeanette and Hugh McKean acquired the remains of the chapel at Laurelton Hall. In the following years they reassembled virtually all of what had been dispersed. 

 

Thomas & I seated at our dining table with our custom colour chandelier inspired by Tiffany's Chapel Chandelier for the World's Fair

 Following the fire that destroyed Laurelton Hall in 1957, the remaining pieces of the chapel were acquired by the Morse Museum and they systematically re-purchased the pieces of the chapel that had been sold off so that the museum could keep the chapel as a single collection.

Finally, the museum constructed a space that would house the reconstructed chapel and in 1999, the Tiffany Chapel was, once again, open to the public for the first time since it was exhibited in Chicago in 1893.

This uniquely important and beautiful work is now available to be appreciated, studied and enjoyed. 

If you love our chandelier  in the above photo drop us a line it is available in any custom colour and size!

Have a great week!

 

Michou@tfc-nyc.com

Leave a comment